This page outlines the structures in place to ensure outputs from the NDRI research program are independent and credible.
Delivering independent outcomes
NERA’s role is to drive innovation, productivity and competitiveness in the energy sector and, in part, promote Australia as a leading source of knowledge and solutions.
A critical component of the NDRI’s structure is the implementation of an Independent Scientific Advisory Board (ISAB). The NDRI’s role is to maximise the integrity and quality of science produced by the NDRI.
Independent Scientific Advisory Board (ISAB)
The NDRI ran two Expression of Interest processes in 2018 and 2019, which received more than 30 applications, and resulted in the selection and appointment of the inaugural ISAB.
With the ISAB being responsible for scientific rigour of the NDRI, applicants were shortlisted based on qualifications (minimum PhD), experience (time spent in academia; exposure in high profile journals) and diversity of background.
The ISAB of the NDRI is comprised of:
- Associate Professor Peter Macreadie, ISAB Chair (Deakin University)
- Professor Iain Suthers (University of New South Wales)
- Dr Sally Rouse (Marine Science Scotland)
The ISAB is responsible for development of the NDRI’s Expression of Interest, shortlisting of project proposals and providing independent oversight of research project progress in line with the NDRI’s objectives.
The ISAB is also supported by Independent Technical Experts, including:
- Mr Richard Heard, Heard Associates Limited
The Executive Committee, comprised of eight industry partners, is responsible for oversighting strategic direction of the NDRI.
This Committee has responsibility for:
- Approval of work program and budget.
- Endorsement of Expression of Interest and Request for Funding processes.
- Approval of project funding.
- Appointment of the ISAB Chair and endorsement of ISAB appointments.
The Committee is required to comply with the NDRI’s Conflict of Interest Policy and other governance measures.
Further information on the NDRI’s industry partners is provided on the About page.